Descendants of Sally Acord
1. SALLY2 ACORD (OLD JOHN1) was born Abt. 1780. She married (1) PETER G COZORT, son of RUBIN COZORT. She married (2) ELLISON CHRISTIAN. She met (3) UNKNOWN DUNN.
Notes for SALLY ACORD:
Sally was the mother of John Dunn, married a Christian then Peter G Cozort, by 1830. the 1830 Logan County census shows: Peter G Cozort; 1 male 20-30, 1 male 5-10, 1 male 0-5, 1 female 30-40, 2 females 15-20, 2 females 10-15.
Notes for PETER G COZORT:
*Transcript from letter to John Geely Jack Cozort from G P Goode copied from David L Brooks' work. I t is an exact (almost) copy, the parenthesis( ) are Davids and the [ ] are his (JG Cozort). Some of the writing has begun to fade and the paper is thin and fragile, so, in order that future generations may have acces to it, I am storing it in my computer files. Uncle 'Whack" had temporarily lost his manuscript and I (David) wish to thanks to Garth Gunter and his brother Steve of Rainelle WV (nephews of Aunt Daisy Gunter Cozort) for their role in its recovery.
David Lockhart Brooks
Pineville Jan 3, 1951
Since I write in long had I am using a pencil and carbon sheet. I shall then have an extra copy for a High School, so you Cozorts will be remembered by future generations.
In the early pioneer days, Peter G Cozort and his brother, John Haywood Cozort, came from England to Tar River in North Carolina. One was a blacksmith, the other a carpenter. The smith brought his hammer from England and used a flint rock picked up in the river for an anvil. They later came to Ashe County North Carolina and in about 1824, Peter G came to Bacontown, Raleigh County West Virginia, where he met and married Sally Acord Christian, who had been married to a man named Christian. She was the daughter of Old John Acord who in 1824 setted at the mouth of Acords Branch below the town of Glen Fork, Wyoming County WV.
In 1836 Peter G Cozort took up 75 acres of land in Skin Poplar Gap on the Wyoming Raleight County line, where he reared his family. He had no doubt built his cabin a few years earlier. *********there is an error here because records show that Peter and Sally were married in Monroe County Wv, the former home of John Acord. Their children are: 1. Mahalia Cozort
2. Sally Cozort Jr
3. Henry Cozort [Your great grandfather] First married a Jones woman. (Martha, also called Patsy). His second marriage was to Mary Roles of Raleigh County, their only child was Joplin Cozort, who with his mother was murdered and robbed and their house burned over their bodies at Maple Meadows in 1891. Henry the husband and father had died some years before, I taught school at McGraws in 1891...***************see lineage attached to this person for lineage outlined in letter***************
Notes for ELLISON CHRISTIAN:
The Giles County VA 1810 census records the following: Ellison Christian; 1 male between 10-30 years old, 1 male between 16-26, 1 female between 0-10, 1 female 16-26.
Children of SALLY ACORD and PETER COZORT are:
i. SALLY3 COZORT, b. Abt. 1834; m. GUM TRUMP, Raleigh County WV.
2. ii. HENRY COZORT, b. Abt. 1836.
Child of SALLY ACORD and UNKNOWN DUNN is:
3. iii. JOHN3 DUNN, b. Abt. 1820.
Generation No. 2
2. HENRY3 COZORT (SALLY2 ACORD, OLD JOHN1) was born Abt. 1836. He married (1) MARTHA PATSY JONES, daughter of ENOCH JONES. He married (2) MARY PATSY JONES.
Notes for HENRY COZORT:
Henry first married a Jones woman, (Martha Patsy) their only child was Joplin Cozort, who with his mother was murdered and robbed and their house burned over thier bodies at Maple Meadows in 1891. Henry the husband and father had died some years before, I taught school at McGraws in 1891
Notes for MARTHA PATSY JONES:
Enoch Jones came to Milam Fork about 1848. This is most likely his daugheter, but not proven
Children of HENRY COZORT and MARTHA JONES are:
4. i. JAMES H 'CURT'4 COZORT, b. Abt. 1855.
5. ii. PETER GRAY COZORT, b. 1849, Raleigh County WV; d. February 13, 1909, Low Gap Cemetery.
iii. JACKSON (JOHN) COZORT, b. Abt. 1855; m. MINERVA PHILLIPS.
3. JOHN3 DUNN (SALLY2 ACORD, OLD JOHN1) was born Abt. 1820.
Children of JOHN DUNN are:
i. HUGH4 DUNN, b. Abt. 1840.
ii. JAMES DUNN, b. Abt. 1840.
iii. CHARLIE DUNN, b. Abt. 1840.
iv. KELLAS DUNN, b. Abt. 1840.
v. JOHN M DUNN, b. Abt. 1840.
Notes for JOHN M DUNN:
is still living at Bolt
vi. UNKNOWN DUNN, b. Abt. 1840; m. UNKNOWN RIFFE.
Generation No. 3
4. JAMES H 'CURT'4 COZORT (HENRY3, SALLY2 ACORD, OLD JOHN1) was born Abt. 1855. He married MARGARET SHUMATE, daughter of AMOS SHUMATE and MARY PHILLIPS.
Notes for JAMES H 'CURT' COZORT:
This couple inherited some of the Amos Shumate place. 2 children were omitted in the letter, Sidney and Oakey.
Children of JAMES COZORT and MARGARET SHUMATE are:
i. HARRY5 COZORT, b. Abt. 1875; m. ELLEN TOLLIVER.
Notes for HARRY COZORT:
Harry & Ellen lived in the hollow above the Harry Cozort gas Well, but later moved to Summers County.
ii. MARY COMBS, b. Abt. 1875.
iii. LEWIS JOHNSON COZORT, b. Abt. 1875; m. (1) MARTHA (MAYBE) DAMERON; m. (2) RETTIE ELSIE DUNCAN.
iv. CORA COZORT, b. Abt. 1875; m. BILL LEWIS.
v. THURSA COZORT, b. Abt. 1875.
vi. GILES COZORT, b. Abt. 1875; d. accidentally shot and killed.
Notes for GILES COZORT:
Giles was operated on under the shade of a maple tree near the old Low Gap school house by Dr's W G Sparks and A E Myers- Sparks operated- he sewed up some holes in the intestines- the boy lived three weeks the intestines healed- the ball lodged near a vertebra, could have been removed by probing - Dr Myers was visiting- neglected to probe and let the boy die of blood poisoning - Sparks would have saved the boy. I saw the Operation.
vii. CHARLEY (2) COZORT, b. Abt. 1875; m. LULA LAXTON.
5. PETER GRAY4 COZORT (HENRY3, SALLY2 ACORD, OLD JOHN1) was born 1849 in Raleigh County WV, and died February 13, 1909 in Low Gap Cemetery. He married (1) BETSY MCMILLION. He married (2) ELVIRA ACORD, daughter of ROBERT ACORD and MICHEL OLIVER. He married (3) VIRGINIA C SHUMATE February 01, 1872, daughter of AMOS SHUMATE and MARY PHILLIPS.
Notes for PETER GRAY COZORT:
Peter lived above the present day Roscoe Goode home before moving across Low Gap to near Shlburn Brooks home. Peter was an overly large man about 6'8", he was also a very gruff man. When he was saved and needed to be Baptised, there wasnt enough water in Saulsville to baptise him, so the Preacher went in search of a water hole deep enough, Finally settled on doing the deed in Ravencliffe, upon entering the water and walking from side to side and around trying to find a deep enough spot, someon hollered from the shore to "turn his head upstream and let the water just run over him. (Shorty Shumate related this tale.)
Children of PETER COZORT and BETSY MCMILLION are:
i. JOHN5 COZORT, b. Abt. 1900.
ii. MARGARET COZORT, b. Abt. 1900.
Notes for MARGARET COZORT:
I do not have notes on John and Margaret. Bill Cozort of Rock View belongs here somewhere? ***(note David L Brooks has a respectable file of notes on John but nothing on Margaret, as yet).
iii. JAMES COZORT, b. Abt. 1900.
Notes for JAMES COZORT:
James was a sawmill operator - killed in an auto wreck at mouth of Long Branch.
iv. MARTHA COZORT, b. Abt. 1900.
Notes for MARTHA COZORT:
Martha was reared by Mrs McGraw.
Children of PETER COZORT and VIRGINIA SHUMATE are:
v. CHRISTOPHER5 COZORT, b. Abt. 1875.
vi. CROCKETT PETER COZORT, b. April 1885.
Notes for CROCKETT PETER COZORT:
Crocket Peter is the name shown in Dieble chart
vii. JOHN COZORT, b. April 1877; m. LAKE ANN GOODE, April 06,
viii. BIRD COZORT, b. Abt. 1875.
Notes for BIRD COZORT:
Someone edited Rev Goodes' letter here, saying that Bird married Walter Petus.
Back to Acord Page